Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Floater Friends


How can such good things happen in a week, and bad things happen in the same week? How are you supposed to feel? Happy and sad all at the same time? Or do you flip-flop back and forth between happy and sad? Maybe it just evens out so you're just in a "whatever" state of mind.

My neighbor of 35 years had a serious stroke a few days ago. We've spent the last 35 years tormenting and teasing each other. This afternoon I told his wife that I didn't plan on stopping either. Hopefully, he'll be able to tease me right back real soon, but it's affected his speech, and his left side is not working at all. I pray God heals him real soon.

On the other hand, visitation with my new granddaughters has begun. The new little family is having a great time together, and can't wait until the girls move in. They're already part of our family, and no one has even yet met them except for the "expectant" parents. But I did get to speak on the phone to the oldest girl last night, and it was great. This weekend I get to see them too, and take them the new clothes I bought for them.

Then on the other hand again, I made another run to the ophthalmologist due to some "sparks" I saw yesterday in my left eye. The vision has also become worse, and now my right eye is joining in the fracas. So the doctor dilated both and had a look inside. Maculas are good, lenses are clear. But there is a very small retinal hemorrhage in the left eye, plus the old blood, plus the huge floater. And she verified that the right eye was doing the same thing, but it was bound to happen. She also said that it takes about six weeks for the vitreous to detach and then my vision should get better. So I've got six weeks to "wait and see". Until then, I've got to put up with the blurry vision and the swinging floaters/distortions.

I told the doctor it was like having windshield wipers flapping back and forth. And it really does make it hard to do my job. But at least she's given me some kind of idea what to expect and how long this process takes. I really shouldn't complain. Lots of people don't have it this good and would give anything to have just some sort of vision.

...and at least I'll still be able to look at the beautiful faces of my two new granddaughters this week. Thank you, God, for eyesight! I won't take it for granted again.

No comments: