Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Blonde Hair


I finally got to meet my new granddaughters yesterday, and I'm already crazy about them. They call me "grandma", and I love hearing it. It's amazing how good those two little girls are, and how fast they warmed up to us.

On the way to the zoo yesterday, we had lunch at McDonald's. The youngest wanted to "sit by grandpa". My husband admitted that he nearly "lost it" when she handed her chocolate milk to him and asked, "Grandpa, can you help me open this?". Later at the zoo, "Grandpa" was about 20 feet ahead of us when she took off running and yelling for grandpa. He's so unused to hearing that name that he just kept on walking. So I yelled for "Grandpa". He stopped and turned around just in time to see her reach out her hand for him to hold.

When we'd first arrived at my daughter's, the oldest girl must've been inspecting her new grandma. She was kneeling on the couch beside me checking out my hair. Then she said it. "Grandma, your hair's so blonde that it's white"! Now that's pretty durned funny considering I'm (used to be) a natural brunette and I don't dye or bleach my hair!

I can't wait to see what's in store for us as "Grandma" and "Grandpa"!

6 comments:

Rita said...

What's in store? Guarantee you, it's more than you can imagine. And some of the funniest things you ever heard.

I'm so happy for you, Grandpa and the new mom and dad.

Now Uncle Beej will need to visit.

Can't wait until it's my turn to see these two sweethearts.

Cissy Apple said...

I got to talk to the oldest girl tonight as Carrie was tucking her in. She told me about her day, and then told me she loved me. Can't wait to see them again.

Leslie said...

such sweet stories. Tell Leroy to get used to answering to Grandpa!

CnC said...

when do they get to move in for good and when can they meet the rest of the family, what kind of stuff can they use so that thier new favorite great uncle Mark can get them something?

Cissy Apple said...

I would ask Carrie to see what they really need. I got them several summer outfits each, but in a short while they'll need school clothes, more in the Fall line...jackets, coats. They have some used Barbie doll stuff and are enjoying the heck out of that.

Rita said...

I think CnC should buy them Barbies. Yeah, that's the ticket.