Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Miracle Girls


I've been lucky enough to spend two Saturdays in a row getting to know my beautiful new granddaughters. This weekend they're visiting Grandma's house for the first time. Hopefully, they'll get to meet some of their many girl cousins on my husband's side of the family. I imagine I'll hear a giggle or two.

The strange thing is to NOT hear or see siblings yelling at and fighting with each other. I've yet to hear, "She's looking at me...She's touching me", and all those other crazy things my two used to get upset about. But I think these two little girls somehow sensed that they needed to stay very close to each other. The older one is like a little mother to her little sister. She even told me that she loves her little sister more than anything else in the world. I'm amazed at their resiliency.

This weekend I plan on making some gelato, chocolate of course, for these two little miracles. I'll wait until they get there so they can see how ice cream is made. I know they'll love it. They also have two great-grandmas to meet. Last weekend the oldest asked me about my mom, then my dad. I told her about their new great-grandma, and explained that my dad died some years ago. I handed them my dad's driver's license and told them that this was their great-grandpa. Stasey said, "He still IS our great-grandpa". Hard to believe coming out of a seven-year-old. I wish Dad was still around to meet them, take them to the candy store, and tease them about little boys. He sure loved his grandbabies.

In closing, I'll just ask God for the opportunity to be as important and "teaching" as my grandmas were to me. As I've said before, I want to be as sweet as my Grandma Riley and as fiesty as my Granny Cissell. Thank you, Grandmas, for all you've done for me. Please guide me in the right path as I gladly undertake this new role in life.

2 comments:

somethingcraftybydottie said...

God bless your family and congrats on now being a gram and a pop. the girls are beautiful noting like being a grandma I have 11 wonderful grandchildren We are so very blessed as are you .
Have a wonderful loving safe 4th with your new addition to your family .
~ God Bless ~
Hugs :o)
♥ ♥ ♥
Dottie

Cissy Apple said...

Thanks, Dottie. I'm finding out real fast how great it is to be a grandma. I never dreamed I'd end up being an "instant grandma". Can't wait for Friday when we go visit them again.

Eleven grandkids! My grandma had 15 kids, eleven lived to be adults. Ten had kids, Gosh, I ought to count them sometime. Anyway, her mom...my Granny Apple...had 111 great-grandchildren when she died. And more were born after her death. Can you imagine 111 great-grandchildren?