Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mark Started It!


I don't remember having to take naps when I was a very young girl, but probably because nothing notable ever happens during a nap to make you remember taking one--except once. Mike, Mark, and I were in our shared bedroom. The boys shared one twin bed, and I had the other one all to myself. You could make bunk beds out of these beds, but at this time they were split into regular beds and were just three or four feet apart.

We just weren't sleepy that day. Looking for something to do, my youngest brother Mark, peeled back a corner of his sheet. There was a small hole in the mattress. Mark dug around in the hole and came out with a tiny bunch of white stuffing; then he threw it at me. I picked it up and threw it back. Mike then picked out another piece of stuffing and threw it at me; and again, I threw it back. This went on for a few minutes, with more and more stuffing being launched from bed to bed. I felt like I wasn't getting enough ammunition, so I tore a hole in my mattress and began throwing the stuffing at the boys.

It wasn't long before our bedroom looked like it was in the middle of a blizzard. Stuffing was flying everywhere! The hole in my mattress was about the size of my fist, but the hole in the boys' mattress was about 18" in diameters and was so deep that it went clear to the ticking on the bottom! Right when the blizzard was getting close to being a "white-out", Mom walked in.

Needless to say, Mom was NOT happy. I don't remember the punishment, but I do remember laying in bed for quite a while after that. And I remember hearing (and doing) a lot of sniffling. I guess Mom felt bad for getting so angry; although I can't imagine NOT getting angry when your three kids destroy two mattresses. Anyway, about an hour or two later, she walked in our room with a plate of homemade cookies.

Why do kids do things like this? It's just when you're having fun, nothing else matters. All that you're thinking about is what a good time you're having. You don't think about getting caught, or having to live with the consequences of your ten minutes of fun for a very long time.

...sort of like having three kids in 27 months, huh Mom?

3 comments:

Rita said...

OK, sure, blame it all on Mark. Seems to me that if this was before I was born, Mark could have only been below 4, while you were two full years older than him. Certainly old enough to know better. I'm just appalled that you blame it all on poor little Mark, such a misunderstood child.

You're welcome Mark.

Cissy Apple said...

OK, how much did he pay you? Or did he have some dirt on you? Don't you remember all of the times Mike and I saved you from Mark?

Rita said...

I mostly remember saying, "Hit her Mark, go ahead hit her." THAT's what I remember.