Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our Cricket

I thought this blog would be a good place to write a little about each family member, and why they are special to me. Since I just ran across some photos of my niece Christen (aka: Chrissie or Cricket), she will be the first.

Chrissie was the fourth grandchild for my parents. She was well-known for her funny sayings when she was little, and to this day we constantly remind her. On one occasion, my brother and his family were in church. Christen had something on her index finger and was tapping the back of the church pew with it. (It ended up being a small plastic chicken head.) A church elder asked her what she had on her finger. She kept on tapping with the object and loudly told him, "That's my little pecker!". Her dad said he bit his lip so hard to keep from laughing that he thought he'd have to get stitches.


Christen is now all grown up, and a beautiful young lady. Her daughter just turned a year old today. I think I'm prouder of Christen more today than I ever have been. You see, her husband left her and their daughter for some 23-year-old who also doesn't understand or care about the sanctity of marriage.

The divorce is now final, but Christen immediately pushed forward with her new life. It seems she's not even looking back. She's not out for revenge. She just wants to get on with her life. Christen's going back to school, and her world revolves around her little girl. That's the way it should be.

I'm amazed at her strength. When most young wives would've fallen apart, she steeled herself with resolve. I know she's going to have some rough times ahead of her, but she should remember to count on her family when she needs them. We'll always be there for her, just like she's been there for us when someone in the family needed her.

We love you, Cricket. Thank you for teaching us that life is not about revenge or feeling sorry for yourself when your world is turned upside down. That's a lesson we all need to remember.


Love, from your aunt

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, she's beautiful!

Cissy Apple said...

It's the DNA she inherited from her auntie.