Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Crazy Things We Did as Kids

If you have read my blog, you know that I spent my early childhood in Indianapolis, and moved to Smith Valley in 1962 when I was nine years old. Compared to what kids have today, in quantity and technology, we were in the stone ages. But I'm sure we had just as much fun with our simple toys as kids have today with Wii, Xbox, and that entire class of video game systems.

During my really early years, we lived in a duplex on North Rural Street in Indianapolis. On the other side of our duplex lived Ginny, Pinkie, and their son Ricky. Ginny had some neat stuff that we couldn't dream of having. She had an oven that had a glass door! Back in the late 50's, we had never seen such a thing. When Ginny baked a roast or anything, and one or two of us happened to be over playing with Ricky, we'd actually pull chairs up to the oven window and watch food cook! How's that for excitement?

She also had a deep fryer with an engraving of a chef where the temperature lights were. When the grease reached the desired temperature, the chef's eye's glowed red. Honest to God, this fascinated me to the point where I would sit near the fryer and watch the red eyes glow. A few years ago, Mom and I went to Illinois to visit Ginny--she moved there to be close to her sisters. I told Ginny how, as a kid, I loved that deep fryer because of the eyes. She went over to her cabinet, pulled out that same fryer and gave it to me. It still works like a charm, with the exception of the chef's red eyes. They no longer work. When you consider the fryer is over 50 years old, it's pretty amazing that it even heats up.

In our own home on North Rural, we had a place in the ceiling of our living room where a light fixture had hung. The light was gone, but the decorative "thing" it hung from was still on the ceiling. Something about that decorative thing caused us kids to place ourselves directly below it, look straight up at it, twirl around, and make this guttural sound as we twirled. Don't ask me why...it was just something to do. And if I'd been Mom, it would've driven me crazy.

Mom was great at keeping us entertained as well. She would put us (one at a time) in a pillowcase, gather up the opening, and then swing us around in a circle. Now that was a hoot! At times, she would hang us on the doorknobs by our shirts. What fun! Kids today have never been swung around in a pillowcase or hung from a doorknob. Today either one of those activities would probably be grounds to call CPS.

She also would get on the floor onto her back, lift her legs up (don't worry...this is clean), and one of us kids would "belly up" to her feet. She held our hands, then lifted us up in the air by straightening her knees and bending her legs at the hips at a 90-degree angle. Then we'd all yell, "Tra-dant!". And although I never swung my own kids in pillowcases or hung them on doorknobs, we did do Tra-dant quite often.

Another activity, probably dreamed up by my mom, was "The Quiet Game". That consisted of one kid yelling "QUIET". After that, the first one to make a peep lost the game. It kept us occupied for a few minutes.

Both of my brothers had hobbies that were horribly gross. (Kids, don't try this at home.) Mike liked to sit on the steps in front of our house and wait for a smoker to go by. If he threw his cigarette butt down, Mike picked it up and smoked it.

Now, if you think that's gross--hang on. Mark's hobby was to take one of Dad's big screwdrivers and walk up and down the sidewalk. When he found a *somewhat* fresh piece of ABC gum, he scraped it off the sidewalk with the screwdriver, stuck it in his mouth, and chomped away! To this day, I can still hear the grit in his mouth as he chewed! Mark must've had a mineral deficiency or something. Our back yard was nothing but dirt due to us kids grubbing around in it all day long. It was nothing to go out into the back yard and see Mark with a mud ring around his mouth. Yes, folks...the child ate dirt!

And for those of you that don't know what ABC gum is, ABC stands for "Already Been Chewed". Speaking of chewing-sometimes on a Saturday we'd walk through the alley to our alma mater, School 81. Since it was Saturday, we could walk through the alley to get to our school. We'd search the parking lot for some tar, scrape it off, and chew it! That was some pretty nasty tasting stuff. Luckily, we didn't do that often.

I know you're thinking that I must've been a more normal child than my brothers. But although I didn't smoke used cigarettes, chew sidewalk gum, or eat dirt, I did have my bad habits too. On a daily basis, I would stand up on my bed and stick my finger in the empty light socket attached to the wall. Heck, yes...it hurt! But now I could probably get struck by lightning and not blink an eye.

I also had a habit of swallowing nickels--no other currency--just nickels. It's not that I had a nickel in my mouth and accidentally swallowed it. Nope, I did it on purpose. A couple of days later, I would hear a *clink* and knew I had gotten rid of the last nickel I'd swallowed. I don't have an explanation why we did any of these weird things, but I guarantee you that your kids did some pretty weird stuff too--or if they are still young, they're still doing weird stuff. You just probably don't know about it. And no doubt you did too.

We three kids and Ricky formed a club. We voted on the name and decided on "The Dingbat Club". I imagine it was pretty close to being a perfect name for our motley crew. Our dues were ten cents a week. The main goal of "The Dingbat Club" was to beat the heck out of Marvin and Kenny, who lived a few houses down the alley from us. Marvin and Kenny were brothers, and if I remember correctly, their mother seemed to have a weird arrangment with someone the boys called "Uncle Cal".

When Marvin and Kenny) invaded our turf, that was reason enough to launch a full-scale war. Those two had no reason to be in the alley behind our house. They were just asking for it, and we gave it to them. After a sound whooping, they'd run home crying. If Uncle Cal was "visiting", he'd come out and yell at us. We didn't beat up Marvin and Kenny merely for being in the alley behind our house--we beat them up because they were creepy kids.

ooDay ouYay understanday igPay atinLay? enWhay omMay andAy innyJay okeSpay igPay atinLay, Iay ouldn'tCay understanday atWhay eyThay ereWay ayingSay, utBay Iay ewKnay innyJay asWay askingAy ifAy Iay ouldCay endSpay uhThay ightNay.

Mom always said yes. I'd go get my PJs and head over to Ricky's. Ricky's mom and dad had a little bit of money and only one child at home. Ricky had toys lavished upon him. He had it all. I can remember a Hi-Ho Cherry-O game, a nice set of Lincoln Logs, a horrible stuffed chimp that I absolutely hated, and a very cool chemistry set. One day, I succumbed to temptation. On Ricky's chest of drawers was the coolest thing I had ever seen, purchased from a penny gumball machine. It was a silver plastic skull with red ruby eyes. That treasure would be mine before night's end.

Before I went home, I took the silver skull with the red ruby eyes and stuck it in my pocket. I didn't dream that Ricky would miss it--he had so many toys. But miss it he did, and it didn't take Ricky and Ginny very long to come over and ask for the skull. That was the last time I took something that didn't belong to me.

It's just a good thing that I haven't ran into another one of those silver skulls with red ruby eyes. I don't think I can take the temptation.

2 comments:

Rita said...

What? No mention of mumbledeypeg?

Rita said...

Am I going to have to complain about waiting almost a week for the next episode???