Friday, January 1, 2010

Just a Good Ol' Boy


About 37 years ago, I heard a knock on the door. Newly-married and not used to having anyone knock on the door of our home, I peeked through the glass to be on the safe side. On the porch stood a local policeman. I knew who he was, but just barely. I couldn't imagine why Joe was there.

With a big smile on his face, he held out a check. "Ma'am, would you sign this?" I looked closer at the check. It was the one I had written for my water bill, and apparently didn't bother signing. I signed the check, handed it back to him, and thanked Officer Gee.

I've talked to Joe a few times in the 37 years I've lived in Loogootee. I can't recall ever seeing him without that familiar smile. He had a way of putting a person at ease and making you feel like you've known him forever. After a few years on the police department, and serving as the chief of police, Joe ran for sheriff of Martin County--and won.

During his tenure as sheriff, Joe would bring the "chain gang" from the county jail to the post prom setups and teardowns. We loved it when they showed up. Without complaints, they did all of our heavy hauling and high-climbing for us. We always bragged on their efforts, and they always smiled back. You could tell it was a pleasure for them to get out of jail for a few hours and do something besides sitting in their cells.

My Aunt Margi used to cook for the county jail, and her good home cooking coupled with Sheriff Gee's gentle ways and smiling face, I imagined it to be real similar to Aunt Bea's cooking and Sheriff Taylor's jail in Mayberry.

Joe Gee died on December 23rd. His last wish was to come back home to die. I heard that he hadn't been home from the hospital very long when he passed away. But at least he made it back home and was in the loving arms of his family. I personally know how important that is. It's hard to imagine Loogootee without Joe Gee. He's been an integral part of this town and this county for many years. How's the saying go? "A pillar of the community"? Yep, that was Joe.

Everyone knew him, and apparently everyone thought the world of him. I stood in line two hours to pay my respects to Joe, his wife, and Joe's kids. It was worth the wait to see Joe once again in his sheriff's uniform. That was the way he'd want to be dressed for this occasion.

Thank you, Officer Gee, for the many years of community service...from driving unsigned checks around town to rehabilitating members of our community that needed a second chance. I'm sure Loogootee will look after your family just like you looked after us.

Rest in peace. We'll miss you.

1 comment:

Rita said...

So sad. I have heard his name for years and years but had never met him. But I feel like I did as it seemed he was just part of the Loogootee atmosphere.

Rest in peace Joe. From what I hear you were a good and faithful servant.