Sunday, January 24, 2010

What????


Two weeks ago last Thursday I made a last-minute unplanned trip to take care of a four-year-old with a stomach bug. My daughter could not get off work, and my son-in-law was in training. I had Friday off anyway, so I threw a day's worth of clothes and my meds into a sack. Rudy had already sensed the phone call from my daughter meant a road trip and he was driving me crazy with his constant jumping and barking. I went ahead and put the little guy into the car to keep him out from under my feet so I could finish getting ready to go.

By dark I was at my daughter's hugging two seemingly healthy granddaughters. The youngest had lost her breakfast that morning, ran a temp, but seemed her normal self. She even had some crackers and Sprite and kept it down. So the next morning, the three healthy ones went to work and to school, and Kaylee and I did a little housework. I decided to cook a nice supper later on, and since Kaylee seemed fine, we took off around 10:30 to do some shopping and grab something to eat for lunch.

Kaylee told me without even giving it any thought that she wanted to eat at McDonald's. When we got to the counter, she asked if she could tell the girl at the counter what she wanted. Sure, I said. She did a fine job telling the girl that she wanted chicken nuggets, apple dippers, and a chocolate milk. I ordered, picked up the tray, and we took a seat in a booth.

Kaylee was her usual talkative self. She asked question after question. And invariably I had trouble hearing what she was asking me. Probably after about the 20th time I asked, "What???" Kaylee looked at me and loud enough for half the restaurant to hear proclaimed, "YOU need a hearing aid!"

I had NO trouble hearing that remark. I also had no trouble later that night when she told me my neck was like a trampoline.

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

My first job after H.S. was operating a mufferless chain saw for L.E. Myers Const. Company.
When I was drafted, the induction Doctor asked, "What did you do to cause scarring on your eardrums?"
And 42 years of flying helicopters hasn't helped a doot. (Pronounced doot.)
I can now hear my own blood flowing through my ears going "wee-ohwee-ohwee-oh"...
all my waking hours if I'm thinkin' about it.
Excuse me... did you ask me something?

Cissy Apple said...

I've had an army marching in my ears since I was a little kid. When it really gets to bothering me, I pop myself in the ear with the palm of my hand. The pressure usually moves that blood vessel off my eardrum enough to stop for awhile.

My ear problems (tinnitis) probably stems from constant ear infections and a case of swimmer's ear. I've had hearing tests and my hearing is ok...but they never play the tones as high as the ones I hear in my head.

Rita said...

GB: I don't think that's blood you're hearing, it sounds exactly like the flying monkeys on The Wizard of Oz.

Cissy: I would think a trampoline neck would be taut, maybe she was giving you a compliment.