Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Bunny Cake to Me!



Way back around 1961 my little sister's April 2nd birthday fell on Easter. Mom made her a very special bunny birthday cake. That made such an impression on me (at nearly eight years old) that I just couldn't wait until my April 12th birthday fell on Easter so I could have a bunny cake too. I waited around 30 years for that to happen! Needless to say, that year I reminded Mom that my birthday was on Easter, and I wanted a bunny cake. And I got one.

Today my birthday fell on Easter again! And my sweet mama made me another bunny cake covered with coconut and jelly beans. We had a good laugh because it looked more like a dog than a bunny. We think that is due to not having quite enough room on the cookie sheet to put the ears in a bunny-like position. So the ears were placed a little differently than the average rabbit wears his ears. Luckily, my daughter took a phone photo so you can check out my cake.

It's simple to make a bunny cake. Just use two round cake pans. Leave one round and cut two football-shaped pieces out of the second layer. See the illustration. Load on the frosting and coconut. Decorate it bunny-like and then eat it up.




I spent my birthday doing a lot of cooking for my husband's family's Easter lunch. I baked a turkey, made a ton of sage dressing, my famous mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, garden corn, some good ol' Merkley's ham, and some giblet gravy. Other members of the family brought dishes as well. We had an absolutely delicious meal. Everyone that wanted took home leftovers, and I've still got a ton of dressing to take to work tomorrow to share with my lunch buddies.

Thursday, we leave for Italy. I hope to have the mess from my cooking cleaned up by then, but it's going to take one heroic effort. Before I get started, I think I need to heat up some of that good dressing.

Hope everyone had a blessed Easter!

7 comments:

Rita said...

I have a pic that Brian sent. I've emailed it to you.

Happy Easter Birthday.

Greybeard said...

The "Easter Puppy" Cake?
Why not? It certainly makes as much sense as a bunny!
Wonderful to hear about your family getting together for an Easter dinner. With tons of Aunts, Uncles, and cousins, our family had such dinners until I became a teen, when Uncles began to take jobs in CA. and FL. and we met only at now-and-then reunions.
We're no longer the same family.
I miss that feeling.
Adopt me.

Rita said...

GB: Our family adopts all kinds, I suppose that could mean you too. ;)

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday, Helen!!!

Cissy Apple said...

GB, our family has seemed to shrunken quite a bit too--all sides of it. Yet I can't seem to be able to resolve that, so when I cook, I make massive amounts of food like I'm cooking for an army.

You are certainly welcome to visit at any time. Name your favorite food...the only thing I'm not good at is noodles, but Rita has that one down pat. However, I am going to take a pasta class while in Italy.

Leslie can attest to the fact that we are wonderful cooks and everybody is welcome and part of our family.

Dottie said...

Wow that was a nice thing for you now this is going to sound strange but on April 2nd 1985 we had our daughter not only was it thebirthday for her, but here it comes my Mom and dad were married on
April 2, 1946 and My brother in law and his wife were also married on April 2,1980 so many special events on that day, and I too Made that cake for my children over the years for
Easter. God Bless you , You must be quite special.
Hugs : )
♥♥♥
Dottie

somethingcraftybydottie said...

I have come back again I wanted to show this to my Daughter. It is just too cute I think it look like a bunny , but no matter I bet it was so much fun to make and was good to eat for all. Have wonderful day I am a follower of yours and I have a request. I have a special note on my blog, I am asking for a prayer circle. So if you would be so kind please Pass this on to your followers as well and Please jump over to my Blog.
Thank you and God Bless & Happy Birthday.
Hugs : )
Dottie
http://holidayfloralpieces.blogspot