Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sick of Being Sick

I don't know how people who are chronically sick stand it. It's just been a few weeks for me, and I'm losing patience real fast. Seems the strong antibiotic I took to get over pneumonia has killed off a lot of good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. You know what happens when all the nice folks move out and leave their homes wide open...the riff-raff moves in.

And the riff-raff has moved in--on my tongue at first. It started with the black tongue that is common when taking an antibiotic. I thought it would clear up after I was done with the meds. Nope. It merely evolved. It became a "hairy tongue", and now it's become a full-fledged case of "thrush". Sunday night, my tongue began hurting. I thought maybe it was a taste bud gone bad and as the Bible says, "If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out". Well, I located a swollen taste bud in the central part of my tongue, and thinking "maybe if I just got rid of it"...I grabbed my small needle-nose pliers, latched onto the elongated taste bud, and pulled the stupid thing right off my tongue.

Who would've thought that a tongue with a dismembered taste bud would bleed so badly? I tried to yell at my husband to grab a wet wash cloth. He came in to see what I was blathering about, and found me trying to talk with a really bloody tongue. What a stupid thing to do.

Yesterday morning I woke up to sore tonsils and throat, and my tongue still hurt.  I felt generally sick again. I ended up going to the doctor, who gave me the diagnosis.  This stuff has spread to my throat and also my intestines.  I didn't tell her about my self-surgery.  I learned my lesson.  And in case you're wondering, the photo is NOT of my tongue.  I just tried to find an example of "thrush tongue" that wasn't horribly gross.

From now on, I won't sever anything other than skin tags.

4 comments:

Greybeard said...

Darn. I looked at that picture for several minutes trying to find the hole left by the offensive Bud.

So what's next?
Yogurt?
Certain cheeses?
What foods have active GOOD bacteria that can kick-start you back to good health?

So sorry you don't feel chipper.
You put on a great act this weekend!

CnC said...

your blog looks different, not just because the big tounge hanging out, the format has changed

Cissy Apple said...

Yeah C&C, I changed it a bit, but still not happy with it. I like the additional real estate anyway.

I do need to eat yogurt and drink some DanActive to put everything back in happy balance. I am feeling a tad better today. The sorest place on my tongue is now where I yanked out the taste bud!

And I didn't put on a good act this weekend. It was just that the good company and tons of laughter made me forget about feeling so crappy.

KhushiG said...

I know it's a very old post however wanted inform you and anybody who reads the comment that with any antibiotics if you take vitamins, especially vitamin B then it won't kill the good bacterias. It will protect them, also will let your liver stay healthy during the period of taking antibiotics. Usually when your liver is working hard (body's engine) then we get such rash, mouth ulcers, bad taste buds etc etc. When we take any medicine liver has to work hard to deal with the healing of other body parts. So drink sufficient water and take vitamin B complex. Take care.