Sunday, December 28, 2008

Heroes of Yesterday and Today

I decided the easiest way to jog my memory about things and people I want to write about is to go through my digital photos--some old and scanned...some new.
I received the top photo from my latest hero. MSG McQuirter is my adopted soldier, and I am his "angel".

Through a Google search, I found an organization called "Soldiers Angels", joined, and within a few days had my soldier's name, email, and military address. He soon sent a few photos of himself at Camp Phoenix in Afghanistan. When he emailed the photo of him leaning on the Humvee, it reminded me of a photo I had scanned of my father learning on an old military truck. I dug it up and joined the two photos.

MSG McQuirter just arrived home a few days before Christmas. Over the past year, we have become good friends. I sent him packages every two or three weeks, and emailed him frequently. He thinks he will be redeployed in July. If that happens, I'll start sending him packages again.

If you aren't already supporting a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan, consider signing up with Soldiers Angels. If you do sign up, please realize you are making a commitment to someone who is far from home and wanted in this program for a reason. Don't disappoint them by sending one or two packages, then forgetting about them.

Knowing that someone back home cares about them means everything to them. They look forward to getting packages, and open them like a kid at Christmas. I've been halfway around the world, and know how good an Oreo tastes when you're homesick as hell. Supporting a soldier has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

I'm pretty sure this made my soldier's life a little easier over there by sending him a little bit of home every few weeks. And he knew he had someone thinking about him and praying for his safe return. I'm know his family did that as well.

Again, to my soldier and all soldiers, sailors, and veterans, thank you for your service to our country. I can't imagine the sacrifices you've made. Stay safe and God bless all of you.



2 comments:

somethingcraftybydottie said...

THis is Wonderful you are a very special person , I guve you so much credit for doing what you do. I hope you update your post very soon. thais is great. God Bless you and Our military.
Hugs,
♥♥♥
Dottie


http://holidayfloralpieces.blogspot.com/

Cissy Apple said...

All I did was buy some extra things every time I went to the store, pack them up and mail them. Not one time did someone try to blow up my vehicle on my way to the store. Nobody shot at me, and I slept in a comfortable bed every night. I had my family, my holidays with loved ones, and all the comforts I needed. I didn't have to wear armor to go to work, and I carried a purse instead of a gun. So I never did anything wonderful in comparison to what these guys and girls do for us on a daily basis. Bless all of them.