Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Go Rest High


The one thing I remember most about her is her smile. I can't recall ever seeing her NOT wearing a smile--and then there was the laugh that almost always accompanied that smile. I worked upstairs from her, but saw her nearly every day for almost ten years--and she was always happy.

Tonight Heaven is shining a little brighter because of her smile. She passed away late last night after she was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. Janet's had it rough during the past several years. She had lymphoma a few years ago, but got through it. The trouble was, the treatment weakened her immune system. Two years ago, she came close to dying several times with a bad case of MRSA. I think she was in the hospital about six months. But by gosh, she came back. God gave her a couple more years before He took her Home to stay.

The last time I saw her, I gave her a hug. I couldn't believe how this woman could have been so sick so many times, and now she looked great. Her old smile was back where it belonged--in the office of Kimball Hospitality. Although I haven't worked at Kimball in 6-1/2 years, my husband and son still work there. They've kept me up-to-date on her illness, and eventual recovery. Today my son emailed me with news of her death. I knew she was sick again and in the hospital, but I fully expected her to recover from this too.

Just last Saturday night, another co-worker happened to be at the hospital in Evansville where Janet had been admitted. He popped in to see her. She was sitting up in bed and told him they were running some tests on her. Three days later she was gone.

My husband said it was awfully hard to walk by her desk, see her name on the cubicle, and photos of her two sons sitting all around. I pity the person that has to remove all of her belongings from her cubicle--such a sad chore.

Rest in peace, Janet. And thanks for all of those smiles.



2 comments:

Deb Enlow said...

What beautiful memories you have of Janet and all describe her beautifully. She really did have an eternal smile on her face and such a great outlook and always positive attitude. She leaves such a deep void in all the lives of those who knew and loved her. I'm so sad because she's gone.

Deb Enlow

Rita said...

Oh, this is so sad. I didn't know her, but Brian had told me about her when she had MRSA. Hard to not question why some people just seem to be so prone to all kinds of health issues.

Rest in peace Janet. I know you had alot of good friends.