Thursday, July 23, 2009

Monitor Code = Z...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


If you're one of my two or three loyal readers, you know I am an insomniac--a life-long one. But for the past couple of months, it's gotten really bad. I can't make myself go to bed before midnight and many times it'll be 2am. Then I get up at 4 or 4:30 to go to work. The trouble is, I seem to have my days and nights mixed up now and can't function up to par until 4pm--that's quitting time.

I find myself sitting at my desk trying my hardest to stay awake. I need to find some test data, so I open up good old Toad and run a query to knock out all records in a table with a monitor code of Z. Next thing I know, I'm the one with a monitor code of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's a miserable situation and each day seems to last 24 hours. It's hard to think, much less write boring stuff all day long.

I had a doctor's appointment last week and he put me on Ambien. I hate sleeping pills. Every one I've tried has left me groggy the next day. But with this one, I was already groggy. So I don't know if it's a natural sleepiness or it's drug-induced. The last two nights, I've cut the pill in half. Still sleepy, even though I'm taking the pill much earlier. Last weekend I actually slept until 9:45, thanks to the little pill. I'm sleeping more than I have in years, but still find myself nearly comatose until 4pm.

A couple of weekends ago, I was trying to study the online course I'm taking in project management. After ten minutes I gave up and actually went to bed to take a nap. I never take a nap, but just felt like I really needed to listen to what Mother Nature was trying to tell me. I slept from 2pm to 7pm. Now that's a nap!



I hate being this way. I've always been a morning person, but not any more. I'm worried about falling asleep while driving--even on my 20-minute drive to work. In the morning when I wake up, I stagger to my recliner while my husband brings me my cup of coffee (complete with just the right amount of creamer and sugar). The coffee no longer helps to wake me, but it sure tastes good going down. Hopefully, after a couple of weeks, the Ambien will get me on a more normal sleep cycle and I can quit taking it. Life will return to normal and my usual four or five hours of sleep a night will return. I will be able to keep my eyes open at work...unless I'm stuck in a boring meeting. My concentration will return and I'll be more productive at work and at home.



But for now, it's time to take the pill and get ready for bed in hopes of a decent night's sleep.

5 comments:

Rita said...

See? Here's your problem with the Ambien. Take it at 8. It takes a good hour or so for it to kick in. If I waited until 9, like tonight, I'm still not sleepy at ohhh, say 10:40?

I should have taken my 1/4 tablet at 8, then maybe I would have been ready for bed by now.

Sleep in this weekend and start taking it earlier next week, then maybe you'll be caught up by next weekend.

Guess Leslie and I are your two followers who haven't left yet.

Greybeard said...

Oh no, there may be "tens" of us out here!
I know nothing about sleep inducements but I feel sorry for you and your predicament. One thing I can suggest that may at least help with your worries about falling asleep while driving...
Suck on ice.
Wakes me right up.

Cissy Apple said...

This is the same doctor that prescribed Halcion for me years ago because I'd wake up in the middle of the night and have no idea who I was sleeping with...no, wait...don't take that wrong! I would wake up with some weird amnesia thing and not know who my husband was...or even who I was. Then I'd think, "Well, he's nice-looking"...then lay down and go back to sleep. But it was so strange that I could remember doing that. Anyway, he told me Halcion was perfectly safe to take.

One night I took my dose and then went out of the deck for a few minutes. The next morning, I woke up in bed--fully dressed with my shoes on. I had no idea how I'd even gotten there! That's when I quit taking it. And a few weeks later I heard on the news where people taking Halcion were ending up in different cities with no idea how they got there. So what's worse...not remembering who you're sleeping with or not remembering how you got to Cincinnati?

Greybeard said...

Or...
Waking up in Cincinnati and not knowing who you're sleeping with?
Pa-rum-pum!

Cissy Apple said...

Good one, GB...but I have enough trouble driving through Cincy when I'm fully awake.